Friday, October 24, 2008

I have a dream...team.

I am fully convinced of the advantages there are about working in teams. I mean in a well-organized and well-managed team that knows where it is going. I actually really like the idea of interaction and everyone bringing its own contribution and expertise to a project. No man is an island. You can't be a Leader, a Brain, an Anchor, a Soldier and a Freelancer at the same time (How to pick your million dollar crew).

Now, about virtual teams... At first, I was a little skeptic, but I believe with the right leader and a good organization to take on the challenges... the numerous advantages can outweigh the drawbacks (and when the virtual aspect is really needed). Although, I don't think Ocean's Eleven would have managed to rob the Bellagio if they didn't know each other well...

So, I won't come back on the many positive sides of virtual teams. I would just like to stress one point. It seems like these Geographically Dispersed Teams are moslty thought to bridge distance and time gaps around the world to work more effectively. I mean the emphasis is often put on the taking advantage of the time zones to make a 24h global work day possible and the sharing of valuable expertises from around the world, in spite of the distance.

I feel like it can be applied to a more local level. By local, I mean national level, as opposed to the global world-wide level. Indeed, establishing virtual teams could solve other issues of diversity, and for example enable more persons with disabilities to work more easily and to feel more involved and integrated. It could help them have access to higher positions without the obstacle of travel meetings aroud the world. It could be like telecommuting applied to team work.

Besides, unemployement could sometimes be avoided with more mobility. But virtual teams are free from commuting issues. As a result, I feel like virtual teams can be an alternative and new way of working, but maybe also a solution to foster and ease diversity and an opportunity to make the job market and job opportunities more accessible to everyone.





Photo credits :
http://www.leadingvirtually.com/
http://coolspotters.com/movies/oceans-eleven
http://www.jaysonjc.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/team-work.jpg
http://www.ahajokes.com/crt017.html

1 comment:

Kim Bryden said...

I love your ocean's eleven example. I also agree with you completely on the comment you left on my post.

It is much better being in a group and feeding off of eachother, I think, then sitting in different areas and virtually meeting up.

My dad is the manager of a group (we live in New Jersey) and his team members are in kansas, canada, india, etc. and I can't even imagine dealing with time differences and trying to work with everyone's schedule...let alone then getting down to business!